STAND UP is an education nonprofit dedicated to ensuring every child has the opportunity to attend an excellent public school.
STAND UP was launched on the Oprah Winfrey Show in 2006. In 2009, STAND UP became a featured initiative of new Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson. Since then, STAND UP has embarked on an ambitious agenda to reform failing public schools in the Sacramento region.
STAND UP focuses on five priority areas:
- Improve teacher and principal quality
- Enhance transparency around school performance and quality
- Increase the range of school options available to parents and students
- Equip parents with the tools to advocate for their children’s success
- Promote local, state and national reforms that catalyze systemic change